Recipe by Wendy-Bob
I like to have a good amount of fish in my diet, but my other half isn't much of a fish eater except for salmon, which he tolerates. I get sick and tired of having the same ol' salmon dish all the time though (grilled with lemon, herbs, chilli, etc.) and as we both love anything with pastry I thought I'd have a go at a salmon pastry pie one day. This is the result...
Top Review by cindymcleod62
I didn't have garlic pepper seasoning, so I added 2 cloves chopped garlic and lots of freshly cracked pepper, along with some salt for flavoring the way we like it. DH and I enjoyed this so much! This is a new favorite for both of us! Thanks!
- 2 skinless boneless salmon fillets
- 1⁄2 white onion
- 10 button mushrooms (quartered)
- 100 g fresh spinach
- 1 pint bechamel sauce (-ish)
- 200 g puff pastry
- lemon juice (to taste)
- garlic pepper seasoning (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Please note that I use two seperate 1 pint dishes for this recipe, but I can't see why it wouldn't work just as well in one big dish.
- Pre-heat oven to 190c.
- Steam the spinach leaves until they wilt and saute off the onion for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Make up the white sauce while the spinach and onion are cooking - I make it from scratch as it's so easy. I do it from memory but it's about 1tbsp butter (melted) mixed with the same amount of flour to make a roux, then 1/2pt or so of milk added gradually over the heat, and stir til it thickens nicely. Add the lemon and garlic pepper to the sauce towards the end if you're going to add it.
- Layer the sauce with the onion, spinach, salmon and mushrooms in your dish(es).
- If your pastry's not pre-rolled, roll it out and place it on top of the salmon, etc. I like to tuck it in down the sides because I'm too lazy to cut it to size. Either prick the surface with a fork or score out some lines along the top.
- Brush the pastry with either egg or milk and bake in the oven at 190c for approx 30 minutes.
- NB. My oven is a bit nuts, so you may well need to adjust the time/setting.