Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
All I can say about these little beauties is YUMM-O!!!! What a presentation and soooo easy to make it is not even funny....especially if you make the mousse ahead of time. Just throw them in the oven and VOILA!! The mousse can be made a day ahead and stored in the fridge covered. You will need a mini muffin tin and a 2 1/2" round cookie cutter for this recipe.
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 2 1⁄2 ounces smoked salmon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- fresh thyme, for garnish
- creme fraiche, for garnish (or sour cream)
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Lightly flour a working space and place the puff pastry sheet on it.
- Using the cookie cutter, cut the pastry into rounds and place into the holes of the mini muffin tin.
- Place in freezer while preparing the mousse.
- Place the salmon, shallot and celery in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Add the lime juice, horseradish, cream, salt and cayenne pepper; process just until smooth. Taste for seasoning.
- Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate to firm up as well as develop the flavors, about 30 minute.
- Fill rounds in muffin tin about 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 11-15 min or until tarts are puffed up and golden brown.
- Allow them to cool just a little in the tin, they will deflate just a bit.
- Top with the creme fraiche and serve immediately.