Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an adopted recipe, and is going to require some tweaking before I'd recommend preparing it as written. I love beets and love spinach, so I'll probably be making and revising this soon!
- 2 egg yolks, hard cooked
- 1 egg yolk, raw (see future revision below)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups celery, chopped, chilled (or fennel)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach leaves, washed & trimmed
- 2 cups beets, cooked and sliced, chilled (pickled or not, it's up to you)
- walnut halves, for garnish
- Put hard-cooked yolks through a sieve; add to raw yolk with olive oil and lemon juice (future revision - no raw yolk, will use 1 tablespoon prepared mayonnaise, instead).
- Beat with a wire whisk or puree in blender until creamy.
- Season with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Place celery (future revision - substitute fennel) and chopped walnuts in bowl.
- Cut 2 ounces feta cheese in cubes and add to bowl.
- Pour dressing over mixture and toss lightly.
- Line serving bowl with spinach leaves.
- Cut remainder of spinach into strips and place in center of dish.
- Mound celery mixture over spinach and ring with sliced beets.
- Cut remainder of feta cheese into strips and use with walnut halves to garnish salad.
I made a few revisions to the dressing, but after my revisions it was definitely 5 star. Hubby LOVED it (and he is spoiled with great food, so this is a huge complement). He actually finished it ALL off!!! I used the mayo in place of the raw egg yolk and actually added about 3 T of the mayo instead of 1. Next time I will only use 1 T of lemon juice. I also added 1 tsp or more of Greek Seasoning to the dressing. Thanks for a recipe that I will definitely make again. Sincerely planned to get a photo, but we all dug into our salads too quickly LOL.