Recipe by Ilysse
From "The Splendid Table" by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, this is a favorite in my house. Its very easy to make but impressive to serve for company. Try using different greens. The dressing can be made in advance and kept at room temp for up to a few hours. This is great for a light main dish as well as a salad course. Serve with a good bread to sop up the dressing.
Top Review by TooAllergic
I don't have to make this again to know I love it! I love "The Splendid Table" and all of her recipes. Quite often I make the dressing and use it on steamed, new potatoes tossed with fresh herbs and baby lettuce from my garden. Fabulous Post!
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 small romaine lettuce
- 1 small radicchio
- 1 small red leaf lettuce
- 1 small curly endive lettuce
- 118.29 ml pignoli nuts or 118.29 ml pine nuts, toasted
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 85.04 g parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler into thin strips
- 226.79 g prosciutto di Parma, cut into bite size pieces
- 4-6 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 158.51 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 44.37-88.74 ml balsamic vinegar
- 44.37 ml red wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml dark brown sugar
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Assemble the salad by washing, drying and tearing the lettuce and tossing together with the onions, pignoli, scallions, cheese, and prosciutto.
- In a medium skillet slowly cook the garlic in the olive oil until soft and barely colored.
- Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Turn the heat to medium high and add the vinegars to the oil.
- Cook a few minutes then add the brown sugar and cook until dissolved.
- Toss the hot dressing with the salad and season with salt and pepper.