Recipe by LonghornMama
My favorite! Found the recipe in Southern Living years ago. I've given the directions as written but I usually cook the almonds quite a bit longer, until they are a nice golden brown. Make the almonds first so they have time to cool.
Top Review by FLYing4Me
Good salad! The glazed almonds and the oranges were killer together. The almonds were very easy to make. The kids were not crazy about the dressing though. Thanks LonghornMama!
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh grated orange rind
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 green onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- GLAZED ALMONDS:Beat egg white at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in almonds.
- In an 8-in baking dish, combine melted butter and almonds, stir to coat.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Cool; yield 1 cup.
- ORANGE VINAIGRETTE: Combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, orange rind, orange juice, poppy seeds, salt and pepper; yield 1/2 cup.
- Combine salad greens, mandarin oranges and green onion.
- Drizzle with Orange Vinaigrette and sprinkle with Glazed Almonds.