Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My favorite! Found the recipe in Southern Living years ago. I've given the directions as written but I usually cook the almonds quite a bit longer, until they are a nice golden brown. Make the almonds first so they have time to cool.
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh grated orange rind
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 green onion, sliced
- GLAZED ALMONDS:Beat egg white at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in almonds.
- In an 8-in baking dish, combine melted butter and almonds, stir to coat.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Cool; yield 1 cup.
- ORANGE VINAIGRETTE: Combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, orange rind, orange juice, poppy seeds, salt and pepper; yield 1/2 cup.
- Combine salad greens, mandarin oranges and green onion.
- Drizzle with Orange Vinaigrette and sprinkle with Glazed Almonds.
Good salad! The glazed almonds and the oranges were killer together. The almonds were very easy to make. The kids were not crazy about the dressing though. Thanks LonghornMama!
YUMMY! we are big salad eaters at my house, I make salad pretty much everyday, so I am always searching for great salad recipes, this one is high on my list! I love the orange vinaigrette and the addition on the mandarin oranges, I used toasted walnuts in place of the glazed almonds... what a delicious salad, thanks LHM!...Kitten:)
Amazing! So refreshing, and easy to prepare. The Almonds were delicious, I used whole almonds, instead of sliced and OMG! They tasted wonderful. Thanks for an amazing recipe