Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
Adapted from Classical Turkish Cooking: Traditional Turkish Food for the American Kitchen, a 1991 book by Ayla Algar. This recipe was found in the Toronto Star website.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons hot milk
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted shelled pistachio
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup semolina
Directions See How It's Made
- In small bowl, soak saffron in 2 tbsp hot milk for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat small skillet over medium then toast pistachios, shaking pan, until fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place nuts on paper towels or clean tea towel; cover and rub to remove skins, if desired.
- In small saucepan over low heat, dissolve sugar in 2 cups milk. Keep warm.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over low, add semolina and cook, stirring often, until lightly toasted, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir saffron milk into sugared milk. Stir into semolina. Remove pan from heat. Cover; let stand 15 minutes. Stir in pistachios.
- Makes 3 cups for 6 servings.