Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I simply love the flavors of North Africa and I think that you'll enjoy this as much as I do. I like to make this with pistachios in place of the almonds sometimes.
- 1 cup basmati rice (Jasmine is also lovely)
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Pour the rice and water into a small pot with a lid and add saffron, almonds, apricots and seasoning.
- Stir gently and bring to a slow steady simmer, stir and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Without opening the lid turn off the heat and let the pot rest at least five to ten minutes or so before serving. Enjoy!
I made this in a different matter. Here's what I did: first I washed basmati rice in a fine sieve ntil the water ran clear. Placed the rice in a large pot of water, salted and brought to the boil. Boiled rice about 8 minutes. Drained. Placed 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan, spooned half the rice in the pan, smoothed the top, dotted with most of the Turkish apricots which were cut up into small pieces, another 1 tablespoon of butter then spooned remaining rice on top, smoothing the surface. Placed a tea towel folded up on top, covered and simmered on low for 30 minutes using the smallest burner on the stove top. After rice has cooked the rice was loosened on the edges using a flat rubber spatula, pan inverted onto a serving plate. Garnished top with almonds, pistachios and the rest of the Turkish apricots. Delicious! Made for NA*ME Tag game/Summer.