Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
These Blintsi are a light type of very thin pancake. They have been a tradition in our Russian family for over 100 years.
- 3 cups whole milk, homogenized
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for rub on fry pan
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted,for rub on pancakes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, add milk then mix in flour half a cup at a time, beating well with an electric mixer after each addition or until mixture is well blended and smooth.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Add 1 egg at a time and beat well to mix after each addition.
- Add sugar and beat again.
- Add 3 tablespoons melted butter and beat again.
- Mix baking soda in about 1 tablespoon of milk, add to batter and lightly beat again.
- Add baking powder and mix lightly until blended.
- Let batter sit for about 5 minutes before using.
- Batter consistency should be like whipping cream.
- Preheat a 10 inch heavy bottom, shallow fry pan to medium-high heat.
- Rub fry pan with vegetable oil before cooking each blintsi.
- Pour about 1/2 cup batter onto fry pan and quickly spread over fry pan by shaking fry pan in a circular motion.
- Cook until edges just start to brown and lightly curl, about 1 minute.
- Turn blintsi over and cook an additional 15 to 20 seconds.
- Adjust heat temperature to suit the type of fry pan you are using.
- Remove blintsi from fry pan, fold in half and wipe blinsti with melted butter.
- Although the blinsti taste best if served immediately, you can cook them ahead of time and place in a preheated 275 F oven to keep warm.
- Serve with syrups or jams of your choice.
- If desired, use chopped fresh strawberries or blueberries along with a dollop of sour cream, or plain yogurt or whipping cream.
- You can also simply sprinkle blintsi with lemon juice and some sugar.
- Refrigerate any unused blintsi.
- To reheat again, place in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on HIGH (full power) for about 15 seconds for each one, or place them in a preheated 400 F oven for about 5 minutes.