Recipe by COOKGIRl
An oldie but a goodie! Printed on the back of a can of Rumford Aluminum-Free Baking Powder. I am quite surprised that this recipe hadn't been added to the site database until now. Egg-free. Mmmm, so good with a spread of butter and slather of creamed honey (and a wee bit of real maple syrup stirred into the butter, too)!
- 2 cups sifted unbleached white flour
- 3 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening (lard or refined coconut oil can be substituted)
- 2⁄3 cup milk (I tried buttermilk and used closer to 3/4 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: I used a KitchenAid stand up mixer to prep the dough.
- PREHEAT oven to 450 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resemble coarse meal.
- Add milk to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead *gently* for 30 seconds.
- Roll out to 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out into rounds. I used a 3-inch diameter Fiestaware tumbler cup, top floured.
- Place on greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake approximately 12-15 minutes or until light golden.