Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
A delicious yeast bread that you mix and knead in the ABM and finish in the oven. Both risings are included in the cooking time.
- 1⁄4 cup light rum (I used Bacardi Limon Rum)
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (I used bread flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten (for glazing)
- In a small microwaveable bowl, pour the rum over the raisins; cover and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Let cool.
- Into the pan of the bread machine, add (in order) water, butter, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, lemon and orange rinds, sugar, salt, flour and yeast.
- Choose the dough setting.
- When the dough is ready, turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Drain the raisins, reserving the rum.
- Pat the raisins dry; knead into the dough.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Divide 1 half into thirds; roll into 16-inch ropes.
- Braid the ropes together; pinch the ends to seal.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Place each loaf into a greased 8" x 4" loaf pan; cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Brush with the beaten egg yolk.
- Bake in the centre of a 400 degree F oven until golden and the loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with the reserved rum, if desired.
- Let cool.