Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Make this orange and rosemary scented cake up to 3 months ahead. (found this on the internet somewhere as a request for someone, haven't made myself -- based on errors pointed out in reviews, I have corrected recipe 10/07)
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 4 -5 eggs
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange extract or 1⁄4 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange juice, for icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar, for icing
- fresh rosemary, for garnish (optional)
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Grease and lightly flour two 8x4x2-inch loaf pans.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds or until softened.
- Gradually add sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on medium speed about 6 minutes or until very light and fluffy.
- Beat in honey.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating on low to medium speed for 1 minute after each addition and scraping bowl frequently.
- (Batter may look slightly curdled.) Gradually add flour mixture, beating on low speed just until combined.
- Gently stir in snipped or crushed rosemary, orange flower water or extract, orange peel, and orange juice.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 325 degree F oven about 45 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
- For glaze, stir together powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons orange juice.
- Drizzle over cakes.
- If desired, top with rosemary sprigs.
- Make-ahead tip: Prepare cakes as directed, except do not glaze.
- Place in a freezer container, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw at room temperature.
- Glaze as directed above.
This was okay, but I was disappointed as I couldn't taste any rosemary or orange for that matter. I brought it to a pot luck and half of it was still left over.
I made this with 5 eggs and used lavender in place of the rosemary. I find the 2 very interchangeable. I use orange blossom flower water. An 1 cup of powdered sugar was used for the glaze. I loved the honey and lavender flavor. If making 3 months I suggest wrapping very good and freezing without the glaze. I garnished with orange rind and lavender. Thanks for posting.
I made this cake with 2 eggs and it is very soft and delicious. I googled this recipe and found an almost exact recipe. It states 5 eggs. I'm going to try it out with 5 eggs later. Just posting this for anyone who would like to try this recipe.