Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are very tasty and lend themselves to be played around with. I have done them as per the recipe but added garlic salt and Tabasco, also left out the parsley and cheese and put in fresh chopped coriander and had with chili jam. Play around with them please. You may even get the kids to eat veggies and serve them with tomato ketchup. They are a Donna Hay recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour (all purpose)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated parsnip
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 3 1⁄2 cups grated sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- sea salt
- cracked pepper
- olive oil (for cooking) or vegetable oil (for cooking)
- 200 g soft fresh goat cheese or 200 g fresh ricotta cheese
- Place the flour in a bowl. Add the eggs and whisk until combined and smooth. Add the parmesan, parsnip, carrot, sweet potato, salt and pepper plus any changes you want to make and mix to combine well.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, add a little oil and 2 tablespoons of fritter mixture.
- Flatten the mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Sandwich fritters together with the goat cheese or ricotta and serve with a rocket salad, or leaves of your choice.
I love trying different recipes for fritters, but as all fritter-makers know there are fritters and there are FRITTERS. This recipe is for FRITTERS. I almost didn’t change a thing! Root vegetables are just SO delicious. I added 3 cloves of minced garlic, but otherwise made this exactly to the recipe. And I served the FRITTERS with ricotta and baby spinach leaves. Just scrumptious. Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe, Latchy!