Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of my most treasured gadgets is a clay Romertopf cooker. It makes the most delicious and moist roasted chicken or turkey I have ever tasted. You have to soak both lid and body of the cooker for 10/15 minutes in cold water before you can use it. It's the steam that produces the cooking medium so no oil or fats are needed making the cooker a very healthful way of cooking.
- 4 -5 lbs roasting chickens (Organic preferred, left whole or cut into pieces)
- 3⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth
- 6 red potatoes, halved
- 3 large carrots, roughtly chopped
- 1⁄4 lb button mushroom
- 8 -12 white pearl onions (left whole)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (cornflour)
- Soak lid and body of cooker in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove skin from chicken pieces if using.
- Place all ingredients, except water and cornstarch, in the clay cooker and place in the oven.(Very important the oven must be cold).
- Turn oven on to 480F (250C) and bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove lid from clay cooker.
- Using a turkey baster, remove liquid from the cooker into a saucepan and set on medium heat on the stove top.
- Continue cooking chicken and veggies, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Make the gravy by combining cold water and cornstarch (cornflour), add slowly to saucepan chicken stock bringing the liquid to a simmer, stirring occasionally until gravy thickens.