Recipe by Mizzy
This was my favorite dish growing up! my grandmother would prepare this for me every friday for lunch. it's nice and creamy, and very easy to prepare. Use any type of flat white fish you can find on sale for this dish.
- 2 lbs any white fish fillets
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1⁄2 celery root, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
for mushroom sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons mushroom soup mix (or flour)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup cooking water, from the fish
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
Directions See How It's Made
- to poach to fish, fill a large sauce pan with plenty of water with plenty of salt.
- Drop all the chopped carrots, parsley, 1/3 celery root, 1 green pepper into the water.
- Cook the vegetables ingredients for about 15 minutes, and then add fish to the water.
- continue poaching the fish until veggies are done, and the carrot is very soft.
- Keep about 1 cup of the cooking water, and allow the vegetables to cool.
- Remove the fish with a slotted spoon and place in a large pan (9X13).
- Baste with lemon juice.
- Remove the cooked veggies, chop, and sprinkle over the fish.
- Prepare mushroom sauce: in a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter, and cook the mushrooms until slightly cooked, add mushroom soup powder (or flour) while stirring.
- Gradually add the liquids while whisking constantly, and cook until slightly thickened.
- While stirring add the grated cheese, and the sour cream.
- Remove from heat and add the dill.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the fish.
- Bake in oven at 350 until cheese is melted, and slightly browned, about 20 minutes.