Recipe by COOKGIRl
Use any variety thin-skinned fall apple for this recipe. Substitute fresh herbs for dried in the vinaigrette dressing-if available. From our local newspaper with a few changes.
- 6 -8 cups romaine lettuce, washed, dried and chopped
- 6 slices crisp bacon, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, minced or 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 red apple, unpeeled, stemmed, seeded and sliced thinly
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
Oil and Herb Vinaigrette
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare vinaigrette by mixing all ingredients together. Set aside.
- In large bowl toss together the romaine, cooked bacon, and chives.
- Just before serving salad, slice up the apples and toss them with a small amount of the salad dressing or lemon juice to stop from browning. Add the apple slices and Parmesan cheese to the salad.
- Toss the salad with a little bit of the vinaigrette. Serve remaining salad dressing on the side. Salad best eaten same day that it is prepared.