Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
this recipe was on an insert in a bag of potatoes
- 1 cup potato, cooked and mashed
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups hot water
- 6 1⁄2-7 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast, dissolved in
- 1⁄4 cup lukewarm water
- Beat sugar, egg and shortening.
- Add potatoes and hot water, salt and a little flour.
- Then add yeast and rest of flour.
- Let rise until doubled in size, punch down.
- The dough then can be refrigerated and used as needed.
- To bake, shape dough into rolls as you desire. Let rise and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
I love these rolls! They are really light and taste delicious. I used instant potatoes which made them even easier. I used a hand mixer with dough hooks and had no problem mixing. The first time I made these, I made one 9x13 pan immediately. I made another 9x13 pan a couple of days later. Two days after that I used the rest of the dough for pizza crust! I made another batch for a dinner at church this past Sunday. I ended up with 50 rolls and it wasn't nearly enough. They were a huge hit! Thanks for the great recipe!
Wow, are these ever good! These rolls are soft and tender and so delicious, especially when they are still warm out of the oven. I must have made my rolls a little larger because I only got 32 rolls out of the recipe (not 5-6 dozen). I shaped my dough into balls and baked them in (2) 9x13" pans. My family loved these and gave them 2-thumbs up. Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe...it is definitely a keeper! *Made for Fall PAC 2008*