Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this in an old magazine and if it's good enough for Robert Redford, then it's good enough for me! Seriously, what red-blooded American woman wouldn't want to break bread with Robert Redford?
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lightly-salted butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons light molasses or 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup dark seedless raisins
- Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Beat egg in a large bowl.
- Stir in buttermilk, molasses and butter.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Mix in walnuts and raisins.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until well browned.
- Remove from oven and place pan on a wire rack to cool.