Recipe by Artemis Platts
My husband made this on the fly yesterday and it was superb. I told him I had to post this. The flavors come together marvelously. Don't skimp on the fresh basil!
- 3⁄4 medium eggplant
- 6 ounces Italian turkey sausage
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 6 large baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 large onion, sliced thinly
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup v 8 vegetable juice
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces dry wt linguine
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute garlic and onions. Add sliced mushrooms,diced tomatoes, and fresh basil. Add V 8 juice, and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Meantime, saute sausage in pan with a little olive oil or place on pre-heated grill and cook until well-done. Cut eggplant into 1 inch slices, brush with olive oil and place on hot grill. Cook until tender.
- When sausage is done, remove from pan or grill and cut into pieces.
- Layer a 9" x 9" baking pan with first the tomato mixture, then the eggplant slices then sausage. Top with remaining tomato mixture and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Serve over linguini or other pasta.