Recipe by Pinay0618
I have prepared this recipe twice since finding it in Gourmet magazine - once as an entree, and once as a side dish for a dinner party. Even my kids, who fancy themselves as carnivores, enjoyed this. :)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted (2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 lb yukon gold potato
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, reserving fronds, bulbs halved and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 3⁄4 lb parsnip, sliced diagonally 1/3 inch thick (3 medium)
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, sliced diagonally 1/3 inch thick (3 medium)
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dill
- 8 phyllo pastry sheets, thawed if frozen
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F with racks in upper and lower thirds.
- Pulse walnuts with bread crumbs in a food processor until nuts are finely chopped (not ground).
- Peel potatoes and slice 1/4 inch thick. Divide all vegetables between 2 large 4-sided sheet pans and toss each pan of vegetables with 3 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast vegetables, stirring and switching position of pans halfway through, until softened and golden brown in spots, 35 to 40 minutes. Leave oven on with 1 rack in middle.
- Add 1/3 cup water to each pan of vegetables and stir and scrape up brown bits from bottom. Chop 1/4 cup fennel fronds. Combine all vegetables in 1 pan and toss with fennel fronds and dill.
- Brush baking dish with some of remaining olive oil. Cover stack of phyllo sheets with plastic wrap and a damp kitchen towel. Keeping remaining phyllo covered and working quickly, place 1 sheet on a work surface, then gently brush with some oil and sprinkle with 2 rounded tablespoon walnut mixture. Place another phyllo sheet on top and repeat brushing and sprinkling. Top with a third sheet and brush with oil.
- Drape phyllo stack into one half of baking dish, gently pressing it into bottom and up side and leaving an overhang. Make another stack with 3 more phyllo sheets, more oil, and remaining walnut mixture. Drape into other half of dish (phyllo will overlap in center of dish).
- Spoon vegetables into phyllo shell. Fold overhang toward center over filling (it will not cover vegetables) and brush edge with oil. Brush remaining 2 sheets of phyllo with remaining oil, tear in half, crumple, and arrange on top of filling.
- Bake in middle of oven until phyllo is deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.