Prep 20 mins
Cook 13 hrs
This rich and dark stock gives the appearance of beef stock. Since you won’t have to purchase meat, you can afford the healthier organic produce!
- 1 lb fresh carrot, cut into 3inch chunks
- 5 medium yellow onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 whole bulbs of garlic, peeled but not chopped
- 1 lb celery, cut into 3inch chunks
- 1 lb whole mushroom, rinsed and trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Use only organic produce! Wash carrots, onions, garlic and celery.
- Put all ingredients into large baking pan.
- Add enough water to almost cover the vegetables.
- Drizzle ¼ cup of olive oil over vegetables. Place in 350-degree oven. Do not cover. Cook for ½ hour, stir and turn vegetables around in pan. Continue this every ½ hour until vegetables start to turn brown and are slightly charred. Then check every 10 minutes. Water should be gone by then. Remove from pan and put vegetables in crock put, fill with water 3/4 full. Add 1 cup of water to pan and scrape bits of veggies from pan, add to crock pot. Cook on low over night. Remove vegetables, and use stock in soups or in place of water when cooking grains. Can be frozen in quart jars.
This is good stuff! I did have to do this differently because I didn't have as much time or a crock pot or organic ingredients! I did 1/4 batch and they were in the oven more than 2 hours but there was still water in the pan. I was running out of time so I tasted the broth in the oven pan and it was good. I threw it along with the slightly browned vegetables into a pot on the stove along with a chicken neck to give it more flavour because I had it and wasn't going to have it cooking so long. I cooked this on the stove for about 45 minutes and then used it in Recipe #378130. I would like to make this again following the recipe insha Allah.
I made this so I could make your Antioxidant soup. I didn't have time to cook overnight, just a couple hours, but I am continuing to cook the stock I didn't use. If I'd known it was this easy to make, I would have stopped buying it long ago!