Recipe by Sharon123
From the blog, A Spicy Perspective, this has been stashed here for safekeeping. I've never grown tomatillos, but may have to now. :)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2 large onions
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 avocados
- 1 lime (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Peel and chop the onions into quarters. Place the tomatillos, onions, garlic and jalapenos on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes—until the exteriors are blistered but the insides are still slightly raw.
- Meanwhile, half the avocados, remove the seeds, and scoop out the flesh.
- Cut the jalapenos in half and scrape out the seeds. Discard seeds.
- Place HALF of the tomatillos, onions, jalapenos and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until mostly smooth.
- Add HALF of the cumin, salt, cilantro and avocado. Pulse until the avocado is pureed into the mixture. Taste for salt.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- If you desire an extra tart quality, add a bit of lime juice at the end.