Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This chicken can be made in the crock pot or in the oven. Either way it's delicious. Directions are listed for both. Serve with mashed potatoes and a bright vegetable and you have a wonderful meal.
- Leave chicken whole.
- Wash chicken, drain and pat dry.
- Mix tarragon and garlic together.
- Sprinkle mixed seasonings inside cavity of chicken and over the outside.
- Place chicken in crock pot, breast side up.
- Pour broth into crock pot.
- Sprinkle rest of seasoning mix over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- To make gravy:.
- Remove chicken from crock and keep warm.
- Add thickening to thicken gravy to desired thickness.
- To bake in oven:.
- Put chicken in roasting pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until chicken is golden and juices run clear.
- Use broth to make gravy.
I did the crockpot method. My chicken was very moist and tender. It was falling off the bones and had great flavor. I added cornstarch dissolved in water to the juices in the crockpot, then used my immersion blender to blend any bits left in there. Thanx for a delicous chicken and yummy gravy!!!
This chicken was to die for!!!!!!!!! I opted for the oven method and baked at 350 for an hour and 35 minutes, it was done perfectly!(My chicken was 3 lbs.) I just baked it in my 13x9 pan,(uncovered), used 2 cups chicken boullion because I realized I was out of chicken broth,(poured it in the pan, too), and it worked just fine!:) I don't buy garlic salt, so used 1 tsp. garlic powder and 1 tsp. salt. We love garlic, so the amounts were right on for us! :) After the first 30 minutes, I basted it every 15-20 minutes with the boullion and juices in the bottom of the pan. (I just used my turkey baster for this.)Then when there were only 15 minutes left, I basted it well, with a pastry brush, with 2 Tbl. melted butter, and got a nice browning on the skin. I did also use a little coarse ground pepper, too. After the chicken was done, I removed it to a platter and covered it with foil to rest while I made up the gravy. Just poured all the juices from the pan into a saucepan, heated to a low simmer, then whisked in 1 Tbl. cornstarch mixed well with 1 Tbl. COLD water. It thickened perfectly! Thank you so much KG for a wonderful roast chicken dinner!!!!!!!! We really loved this!!! :) :)