Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
I had a surplus of dried chilies to use up so I made taco seasoning mix. I should probably state that this is rather spicy. Please feel free to use your favorite mix of dried chilies. Salt was purposefully omitted.
- 1 whole dried guajillo chile
- 1 whole dried chipotle chile
- 2 whole dried arbol chiles
- 2 whole dried ancho chiles
- 1 whole dried mulato chile
- 2 -3 dried pasilla peppers
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes (salt-free)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- In a cast iron skillet dry roast the whole chilies, the cumin seeds and coriander seeds until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Do not burn, turning the mixture over to evenly roast.
- Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Once mixture is cool, remove stems, membrane and seeds. Break the chili up into small enough pieces so that they blend well. Blend the chilies and all the remaining ingredients in batches in a clean, dry coffee mill or mini chopper.
- Store in covered container and keep in cool, dry area in the cabinet.
- Yield is estimated.