Use your choice of vegetables including parsnips, potatoes, celeriac, red onions and beets or go with all orange and yellow as given in the recipe. Looks as good as it tastes. From Bonnie Stern's Essentials of Home Cooking.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut 1/2 inch thick
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut in 1/2 slices on the diagonal
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut in 2 inch wedges (or acorn squash)
- 2 orange bell peppers, seeded and cut in thick slices
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Combine the prepared vegetables in a large bowl and toss with oil. Spread onto a large non-stick rimmed baking sheet. Use parchment paper if you like, but I didn't find it necessary.
- Roast at 375 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring once or twice, until browned and tender.
- Combine the vinegars and remaining ingredients in a small bowl and toss with the hot, cooked vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley.