Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Goes good with Wild Mushroom, Smoked Chicken and Corn Chowder (recipe #23578).
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg white, beaten until frothy
- Heat the oven to 425°F Grease baking sheet.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, thyme, baking powder cream of tarter, and salt.
- In small bowl, beat together egg and brown sugar; stir in roasted red pepper. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture, add egg mixture and butter milk. With fork blend into flour mixture until soft dough forms (if dough is to stiff add additional buttermilk--if too sticky, add more flour).
- Turn dough onto floured surface; gently form into 8-inch round.
- Place on baking sheet; lightly score the top into 8 wedges. brush with egg white.
- Bake at 425F for 5 minutes; reduce temperature to 375°F and bake an additional 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned and bottom sounds hollow when tapped. Cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack. For softer crust, wrap warm loaf in towel. Serve warm.