Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A side to go along with roasted pork, chicken, or duck.
- 4 medium red onions, cut into 3/4-inch thick wedges (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 -6 ripe figs, stems trimmed, halved lengthwise (preferably green figs)
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400°; spread onions in a large shallow baking dish (13x9); drizzle with the olive oil; sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and a generous grinding of black pepper.
- Roast, turning each wedge once, until the onions begin to caramelize on the edges, about 30 minutes.
- Take baking dish out of oven; arrange figs, cut sides down, between the wedges of onion.
- Place dish back in oven; roast 10 minutes until figs are golden on the cut sides.
- Sprinkle with vinegar and rosemary; serve immediately.
I made this today and found it good, not great, but good. The carmalized onions were excellent. I ate it alone. I can imagine as a side to pork, chicken or duck as chef suggested would be better.