Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
You may certainly roast your own peppers, but buying them in a jar already roasted is so much faster! prepare the complete casserole, cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours in advance to bake later.
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed and well drained (squeeze out any excess moisture completely with hands!)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 roasted red peppers, sliced (purchase a jar and pick out three peppers, then slice into 1/4-inch wide strips)
- 3 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste, I use seasoning salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese, for top
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 11 x 7-inch baking dish (or you can use a 13 x 9-inch, but the casserole will be flatter).
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add in the spinach; saute the spinach for about 4 minutes; remove to a bowl and set aside.
- To the same skillet (adding in more butter and/or oil if needed) add in the leeks and garlic; cook for about 6 minutes, or until soft; remove the skillet from the heat.
- In a bowl whisk together whipping cream and eggs, then add in ricotta cheese, Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese, salt and cayenne pepper or black pepper, then add in the sauteed spinach, leek/garlic mixture and the sliced roasted peppers; mix well to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with more roasted peppers on top if desired and serve.
What a great recipe for a low carb diet! I doubled all the ingredients and made it in a lasagne pan and brought it to a potluck that included other low carb dieters. They all loved it and wanted the recipe. Another winning recipe by kittencal