Recipe by Malarkey Test
This is an irresistable salad. It makes a lovely first course, or side dish. I've actually used chopped cocoa beans in places of the nuts, but since these are hard to acquire, I haven't included them here.
Top Review by puppitypup
I made this for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. I ended up adding some basalmic vinegar, since it seemed like the dressing needed more flavor. I also used gorgonzola cheese and candied pecans rather than parmesan and walnuts. The only problem I had was that the pears didn't never got brown. I didn't realize they wouldn't get brown, so I kept cooking them, which made them end up much too soft. Oh well, they tasted great anyway!
- 2 bartlett pears, cored,quartered and cut in slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups arugula
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, cut into shavings
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the pears in melted butter and sugar.
- Roast at 500 degrees til slightly browned on both sides.
- Take out to cool slightly, but you can serve slightly warm on salad.
- Whisk the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper together to make the dressing.
- Toss the arugula, pears and dressing til all leaves are coated.
- Toss again gently with the cheese and nuts or just sprinkle on top of each plate.