Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is easy enough to do on a weekday, and delicious enough to serve for a Sunday dinner. It creates a really great tasting, moist chicken with very little effort! Please note: for the thyme, Zaar didn't recognize 1 tbsp + 1 tsp fresh thyme.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs roasting chickens
- 2 small lemons
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced (reduce by at least half if using dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced (reduce by at least half if using dried thyme)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- fresh parsley sprig
- Remove the giblets from the chicken, and rinse the chicken with cold water. Pat dry.
- Punch holes in the lemon rinds with a wooden pick. Cut the lemons in half. Place the lemon halves in the cavity of the chicken. (Sometimes I add a quarter or two of onion or celery pieces here). Truss the chicken; place the chicken, breast side up, on a lightly greased baking rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer into the breast of the chicken, making sure it does not touch bone.
- Combine the oil and the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well. Brush the chicken with 1/4 cup of the oil mixture -- take the time to loosen the skin and rub some of the mixture into the meat, but make sure you oil the skin so it is deliciously brown and crisp.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat thermometer registers 170 degrees, brushing occasionally with the remaining oil mixture. Remove the chicken to a serving platter. Let it rest for at least 5-10 minutes before carving.
This was very good. I like lemon and thyme together. Made for ZWT6.
Simply delicious! Easy. Moist. I appreciate that I typically have these ingredients on hand. Served with recipe#420654 (a Moroccan dish). Thank you for posting breezermom. Made by an Unruly for Unrulies Under the Influence during tour of Greece.
Perfect Chicken! Everyone of my 8 friends who had some of this raved about how good it tasted and how juicy it was. Thanks for posting such a simple and tasty recipe!