Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From The Hippy Gourmet's Quick & Simple Cookbook for Healthy Eating c. 2007.
- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 5 roma tomatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, chopped fine
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 -5 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash extra virgin olive oil
- Oven an open gas flame, blacken the peppers: Just place them right on top of the flames, turning with tongs when they're blackened - a minute or two per side. If you don't have a gas flame, use a grill or an electric broiler to cook the chilies until their skins are blackened, turning to get all sides: this should take 3 to 4 minutes per side. When the skins are charred, rinse the peppers under cold water. Peel off the skins, cut the peppers in half, remove their inner seeds, and chop. Add them to a bowl along with the tomatoes, onions, lemon juice, cilantro, oregano, and pepper. Mix well. Season to taste with salt, and drizzle olive oil ver the salsa.