Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
I was cashiering years ago in Margate, N.J. when a gentleman checked out with so many fresh garlic balls I had to ask. He came back the next day with a "Taste" of the very best garlic soup I've ever had, and he was kind enough to share his recipe with me. I, in turn wish to share it with you. Thank's Mr. Levitt
- 1 cup shallot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup garlic clove, peeled, and roasted
- 1⁄2 cup garlic clove, peeled
- 5 cups chicken stock (fresh or boxed)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh marjoram
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a soup pot, saute shallots over medium heat in olive oil until lighly brown and tender.
- Add roasted garlic, (make SURE it's roasted good, so it's sweet) and the raw garlic. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add chicken stock, heavy cream and marjoram. Bring to a slow boil and let cook for 20 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer soup into a blender and blend on high speed.
- Strain back into soup pot and return to a boil one more time.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Dissolve corn starch in a cup with water and thicken soup by stirring it while boiling.
- Serve with garlic croutons and sliced green onion.