Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Great side for roast beef or lamb. Adapted from CL. Submitted for ZWT3. Prep time includes roasting the garlic.
- 1 whole head of garlic
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese, about 1 1/2 ounces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves).
- Wrap garlic head in foil.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves, and squeeze to extract the garlic pulp.
- Discard the skins.
- Coat a 1-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray; sprinkle bottom of dish with breadcrumbs.
- Lightly spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife.
- Spoon the flour and salt into a large saucepan, and gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Cook milk mixture over medium heat until thick (about 6 minutes), stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the garlic pulp, cheese, rosemary, and egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed of a mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold one-fourth of the egg white mixture into garlic mixture; gently fold in the remaining egg white mixture.
- Spoon into prepared soufflé dish. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until puffy and set.