Recipe by Elmotoo
I had a craving & couldn't find a recipe. So, I'm submitting one. The eggplant gives the sauce a 'meaty' texture. This is vegan until you add the grated cheese Peeling the eggplant is up to you, depending on your personal preferences.
- 2 medium eggplants, 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- grated romano cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large baking sheet with oil. Toss eggplant cubes with 2TB oil & spread on pan. Roast at 400F for 20-30 minutes until browned; stirring occasionally. Season with 2 tsp kosher salt after roasting & stir gently.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2TB olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion & saute until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until tender but not brown, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes, then uncover pan and simmer 5 minutes more. Stir in herbs, season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat; discard bay leaf.
- Add roasted eggplant to the tomato sauce and stir gently. Serve over your favorite pasta & top with grated cheese, if desired.