Recipe by ndiaz_88
I found this recipe on a recipe card at Walmart but it didn't have flavor and it had mushrooms. Most people I know hate mushrooms and need flavor so, I cut out the mushrooms and added some flavor..
- 6 ounces bulk sausage
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 cup herb stuffing mix
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- nonstick cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F; spray baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Remove and discard giblets.
- Rinse and pat dry inside and out of the hens.
- Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, cook and stir sausage over a medium heat until no longer pink.
- Add the onion and celery.
- Cook until tender, about five minutes.
- Add stuffing mix, 1/3 cup of water, and 1/2 teaspoons of sage; mix well.
- Spoon warm filling evenly into the inside of the hens.
- Blend the 1/4 teaspoons of poultry seasoning with the butter.
- Rub evenly over the hens.
- Place the hens in a baking pan.
- Roast for 1 hour 30 minutes or until no longer pink and thermometer says 180°F Let stand for five minutes before serving.
- With a knife, split each hen length wise through the center of the breast and through the backbone, cutting just to one side of the backbone.