Recipe by Hey Jude
It doesn't get any easier or more satisfying than this! I found this in the Chicago Sun-Times, originally printed in Biba's Northern Italian Cooking by Biba Caggiano.
Top Review by Geema
This is delicious comfort food that provides everything you need for a meal in one pan. I actually added a few more carrots and substituted mushrooms for the red peppers. The fresh herbs lift this recipe from the ordinary to the sublime. I never tried using olive oil on my roast chicken before, and used it instead of butter with great results. Don't be afraid of the high heat...it works! Thanks HeyJude for making my favorite roast chicken even better.
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens, rinsed and patted dry
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 rosemary sprigs, chopped
- 6 -7 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 lb potato, cut into large pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into quarters
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Put chicken in a large roasting pan.
- Coat it with oil and rub it inside and out with rosemary, sage and garlic.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Place one half of lemon inside the chicken caviety and squeeze the other half over chicken.
- Roast 30-40 minutes, basting several times with pan juices.
- Add potatoes, carrots and peppers.
- Bake, basting chicken occasionally, 30-40 minutes longer or until juices from the thigh run clear when thigh is pierced with a fork.