Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a Tyler Florence recipe. It's filled with intense Moroccan flavor and it's very easy to make. Roasted chicken with a twist! Give it a try when you're looking for a yummy change of pace. Enjoy!
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
- 1 cinnamon stick, chopped in pieces
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Rinse chicken with cool water, inside and out - then pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine the cinnamon stick, cloves, cayenne, cumin, fennel, coriander and paprika in a dry skillet over low heat and toast for a minute - just to release the fragrant oils - shake pan so spices don't scorch.
- In a clean coffee grinder, grind the toasted spices together with the sea salt and brown sugar.
- Massage the chicken skin with the spice rub, making sure you don't miss any spots.
- Season the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the lemon halves, cilantro and garlic into the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the chicken into a roasting pan, fitted with a rack, and fold the wing tips under the chicken and tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- Drizzle oil all over chicken. If you have the time, let the chicken sit for 30 minutes to really let the flavors meld into the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for one hour, then check with an instant read thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh - if it reads 160 degrees F, then it's done!
- Take the chicken out of the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before carving - so the juices can settle back into the meat.
- Squeeze the lemon halves that have cooked inside the chicken over the meat for added wow.
Loved this spice mix which I ground up in my spice mill. Took the liberty of mixing some of the spice mix with butter and rubbing it under the skin. The rest I rubbed on top and added olive oil. This chicken really turned out fantastic. : )
Wow! This is just unbelieveably delicious! I am a big fan of roast chicken and I have fixed it many different ways, with many different flavors, but I have never had a roast chicken where the flavor was all thru the meat like this! It is just so so good! I wanted to swim in the spice mixture...it smelled so heavenly and tasted even better! I want to make some up to have on hand, I'll bet it is fabulous on halibut! I can't wait for the left overs, I'll bet this will make a wonderful chicken salad! Made for ZWT9 Family Pick
This is a really nice spice mix! I put it on chicken thighs, then roasted them. So good! I wish I'd had time to let them marinate, but even just rubbing them with the spice mix and cooking immediately made for a wonderful meal. Made for ZWT9