Roasted Chicken with Chili-Sage Glaze
Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Starting at the neck end of the chickens, slide your fingers between the skin and breasts to loosen the skin.
- Place 2 sage leaves under the skin of each breast; sprinkle chickens with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the chickens, skin side up, to a medium roasting pan; roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, simmer 3/4 cup of the white wine, the preserves, and shallots in a small, heavy saucepan until the glaze is slightly thickened, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped sage and chili powder.
- Brush 1/2 the glaze on the chickens and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Then brush with remaining glaze and roast until the chickens are cooked through and the glaze is bubbling, about 10 minutes more.
- Transfer chickens to a heated platter.
- Spoon off the fat from the juices in the roasting pan; place the pan directly atop 2 burners over medium heat.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup wine and boil until the liquid is reduced by 1/3, about 5 minutes.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut the chickens into serving pieces, transfer to a serving platter, and spoon the sauce over the chickens.