Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This one is made with a potato crust, the recipe is basically for Reibekuchen (potato fitter) which has to prebake anyway, so I roasted the cauliflower because veggies are better roasted and added more flavor with garlic, ginger and cumin. From: http://www.1bigbite.com/2012/11/cauliflower-kale-pie/
- 17 5⁄8 ounces peeled grated potatoes or 2 1⁄2 cups peeled grated potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
for the filling
- 1⁄2 small cauliflower, trimmed, broken into florets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for the pan
- 2 1⁄8 ounces kale, stems removed cut into 1 cm or 2 1⁄8 ounces sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder (I used Colmans)
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat your oven to 190 C / 375°F Grease your 20 cm x 4 cm / 8 inch x 1.5 inch pie pan, line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Put grated potatoes into strainer, sprinkle with salt, allow to stand for 10 minutes in your sink. Squeeze with your hand to remove excess liquid, move to another bowl, add egg and flour, stir well to combine. Press into pie pan, forming an edge around rim of pie pan.
- Cover cauliflower evenly with oil and place on a baking tray. Bake potato crust and cauliflower for 25-30 minutes.
- Bring a pot with 3 l / 3 quarts of water to boil, add kale and cook 5 minutes then drain.
- In a big bowl add sour cream, 2 eggs, cumin, mustard powder, ginger, garlic, salt whisk well. Add roasted cauliflower, kale (squeeze out excess liquid) and feta, stir and pour on potato crust. Bake 35-40 minutes or until set and golden brown.
- Change the flavor profile using lemon zest, garlic and rosemary!