Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great thick and creamy soup-the apple cider ads an extra nice flavor to this. From Family Circle magazine.
- 1 large butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 apple, peeled cored and chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon salt
- sour cream, if desired (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and seed squash and cut into 8 wedges. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and roast in the oven for one hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large pot,and the chopped onion and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted squash, 4 cloves of crushed garlic, the apple, the 5 cups chicken broth, the 1 cup of cider, and the 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Simmer 30 minutes, until apple is very soft.
- Puree in food processor.
- Garnish with sour cream if desired.
I'm not sure how to rate this recipe. I have a feeling that if you like most butternut squash or pumpkin soups, you'll like this one. I personally just didn't really care for the garlic and onion flavors in conjunction with the squash and apple flavors. Definitely edible, but just not a combination I cared for. I used leftovers from Shamelessly Simple Baked Butternut Squash so I halved all the other ingredients.