Savory Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
photo by ChandraSoleil
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 4 -6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 quart chicken or 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 400°. Peel, seed and cut the butternut squash into 1 - 2 inch chunks. In a large bowl, combine the vinegar with the maple syrup, salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and thyme. Add the squash and toss well to coat. Arrange squash on a baking sheet and roast for 30 - 45 minutes.
- Step 2: While the squash is roasting, chop the onion, carrots, and garlic. In a large dutch oven or stock pot sauté the onions and carrots in the oil until a little soft and beginning to brown. Remove the squash from the oven and add it to the dutch oven with the garlic. Pour the chicken stock over. Bring the stock to a boil, then cover the dutch oven and put it in the oven and adjust the temperature - you can let this slow cook at 250 for two hours or more, or roast it at 325° for about an hour.
- Step 3: Using an immersion blender or a potato masher roughly mash up the soup and return it to the oven at 325° for 30 minutes. You may have to add a little water or stock if the soup is too thick. Adjust the seasonings and serve!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!