Recipe by Diet It Up
There's a time and place for pickled beets, but I prefer the effects of roasting them. They turn soft and buttery and form a nice backdrop for a salad. The peppery arugula and creamy goat cheese work well with beets and walnuts add the perfect amount of crunch. I served this salad alongside a grilled steak. It was the perfect, fresh side dish.
- 1 cup arugula
- 4 beets
- 1⁄8 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 orange, segmented & juices reserved
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Wash beets. Drizzle whole beets with 1 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper and wrap in a tin foil pouch. Roast for 1 hour or until fork tender. Peel beets, cut into slices and set aside.
- Whisk together the reserved juice from segmenting the orange, balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoons olive oil. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Combine sliced beets, orange segments, red onion and dressing in a bowl.
- Spoon the beet salad over a bed of arugula and top with chopped walnuts and crumbled goat cheese.