Recipe by CHRISSYG
I love roasted beets...they get particulary earthy and sweet. I can't wait for the beets in my gardent to get big enough to pick to make this very simple yet flavor-packed salad this year.
- 1⁄2 vidalia onion, cut into thin slices
- 2 -3 bunches arugula
- 6 beets, bulbs
- 2 -3 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- additional salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, additional
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Rinse and peel beets and slice into wedges. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with Salt and pepper.
- Wrap the beets in aluminum foil. Place them directly on the center rack and bake about 25-30 until tender when pierced and slightly carmelized. Reserve the juices in the bottom of the foil.
- Rinse and dry the arugula. Cut the leaves into strips.
- Make the vinaigrette:
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, orange zest, salt and pepper to the beet juice and whisk well.
- Place the arugula in a frying pan, on medium heat with the additional olive oil. Stir in the warm oil till just wilted (about 2 - 3 minutes)
- Combine the beets, onion, arugula and dressing in a large bowl and toss.