Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This makes a great dinner, especially during the spring. From Everyday Food.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs new potatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 (3 lb) package whole chickens, cut up
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 478 degrees.
- Place potatoes and half the butter in a shallow roasting pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast, tossing once, until potatoes are golden, 20-25 minutes.
- Place chicken, skin side up, on top of the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until chicken begins to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Scatter asparagus, lemon, remaining butter, and thyme around chicken.
- Roast until asparagus is tender and chicken is cooked throughout, 5-15 minutes.
- Serve with pan juices.
Yummmeee! I substituted a roasted garlic olive oil for the butter. I forgot to tell my husband there were lemons/rind in there.....lol!
Yummy!!! This is such a unique combo of flavors! I love the tang of the lemon with the potatoes. I think you could easily make it without the asparagus and it would still be yummy- but I love asparagus, so I would only try it that way if I was desperate.
my mom made this for dinner the other day, but instead of a whole cut up chicken, she used skinless, boneless chicken breast pieces and it worked just fine. I really liked this, the lemon and thyme make such a good flavor. I love asparagus!