Recipe by kymgerberich
On a recent 4 day weekend I had my husband name 4 countries. He chose Brazil, Italy, Poland and Myanmar. This was the dish from Myanmar.
- 3 lbs chicken parts
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons thick soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 2 medium onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 inches fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup dried mushroom
- 8 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and rib chicken with salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper and soy sauce.
- Scrape ginger, slice in 1/8 inch slices, then cut into strips 1/8 inch wide.
- Heat oil. Fry ginger until light brown. Scoop out with strainer. Add chicken to the oil and brown it on each side.
- Add 1 cup water with remaining soy from marinade and half the fried ginger. Lower heat and let simmer, covered.
- Soak mushrooms in water until swelled. Clean carefully. Peel onions and slice thickly. Peel garlic and halve cloves lengthwise.
- When chicken is tender, correct seasoning, adding more soy as desired. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms and 1/2 cup water, and cook until water is absorbed.
- Arrange serving dish with crisp ginger, onions and garlic over chicken.