Recipe by Mirj
This is my friend Rivka Woolf's recipe, in response to a request.
Top Review by Tulip-Fairy
Followed recipe exactly with perfect results, I used ready made vol-au-vont cases and cooked them from frozen. The filling was simple and very tasty. Next time I will add a clove of garlic to the pan while cooking the onions (personal taste) but a lovely dish regardless. Thank you Mirj
- 1 package prepared frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 mushroom, cube and hot water to make a thin paste
- cornflour, dissolved in a little cold water to make a paste
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing on to the pastry
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the onion in oil until golden, add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add the mushroom cube dissolved in water.
- Cook a further few minutes, and add the cornflour paste to thicken, if needed.
- (Rivka's comment-- I like the consistency to be fairly thick and creamy, but if you prefer it thinner just add a little water.) To make the cases: Roll our the pastry and cut into circles with a cookie cutter-- you will need to make double the amount of circles than cases needed.
- Cut half the circles with a smaller circle cutter to make an O shape in the center.
- Brush a beaten egg on to the surface of the solid circles, then lay the O shaped circles on tipe and brush again with the egg.
- Bake on greaseproof paper or on oiled baking sheets at 350 degrees F till well risen and golden, about 1/2 an hour.
- Cool and fill with the warm filling and serve.