Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my friend Rivka Woolf's recipe, in response to a request.
Make and share this Rivka's Vol-au-Vents recipe from Food.com.
- Fry the onion in oil until golden, add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add the mushroom cube dissolved in water.
- Cook a further few minutes, and add the cornflour paste to thicken, if needed.
- (Rivka's comment-- I like the consistency to be fairly thick and creamy, but if you prefer it thinner just add a little water.) To make the cases: Roll our the pastry and cut into circles with a cookie cutter-- you will need to make double the amount of circles than cases needed.
- Cut half the circles with a smaller circle cutter to make an O shape in the center.
- Brush a beaten egg on to the surface of the solid circles, then lay the O shaped circles on tipe and brush again with the egg.
- Bake on greaseproof paper or on oiled baking sheets at 350 degrees F till well risen and golden, about 1/2 an hour.
- Cool and fill with the warm filling and serve.
Followed recipe exactly with perfect results, I used ready made vol-au-vont cases and cooked them from frozen. The filling was simple and very tasty. Next time I will add a clove of garlic to the pan while cooking the onions (personal taste) but a lovely dish regardless. Thank you Mirj
There was no doubt in our minds, that these were 5 star Vol-au-Vents - the mushroom sauce was delicious and with the pre-prepared pastry, it was a doddle to make for a light supper! I was VERY naughty - I added a couple pieces of HAM in two of them - it was a nice addition for those who eat ham.......!! Other than that, I changed nothing at all - which is unusual for me, the Queen of Tweaking! We ate them as a meal, rather then as an appetiser - they were lovely served with just two types of vegetables - cheesy broccoli and carrots, NO need for potatoes at all. Next time, I might add a bit of finely diced onion and garlic - that would be my only addition as I loved the intense mushroomy flavour of these. Thanks Mirj for yet ANOTHER winner! FT:-)