Recipe by Pinaygourmet #345142
Delicious and good for you too.
Top Review by superlib
This turned out really good. However, I made quite a few changes, some of which I think are necessary. The most important: The rice doesn't only have to be coated in oil. You actually saute it in the oil until most or all of the pieces of rice are translucent all the way through. This helps the risotto absorb more of the liquids and have a more creamy texture. Secondly, I highly recommend using much more broth (which will be necessary if you cook the rice properly), and adding some salt, pepper and herbs to the broth. I changed a lot more, but those were the important ones. The blanched carrots added a really wonderful taste, and the cheese on top... was perfect! I didn't have a red onion on hand so I used 1 shallot and 1 leek instead, which added a nice sweetness. I will have to try using red onion at some point and see how that turns out, too!
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup risotto rice, do not rinse
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 115 g asparagus spears, sliced and blanched (substitute with green beans if you want)
- 2 young carrots, sliced and blanched
- 3⁄4 cup button mushroom
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g parmesan cheese, grated, to serve (pecorino is not a bad substitute)
Directions See How It's Made
- It is important to follow the steps for making real risotto so that you achieve the right texture. First heat the stock in a saucepan until simmering. Next, in a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil and butter for 3 minutes.
- Stir the rice into the onion mixture, making sure each grain is coated well in the oil, then stir in the wine. Allow the wine to evaporate then spoon in two ladlefuls of hot stock, stirring occasionally.
- Allow this to evaporate, then add more stock and stir again. Continue like this, ladling in the stock and stirring frequently for around 20 minutes, by which time the rice will have swelled greatly.
- Mix in the asparagus or beans, carrots and mushrooms, season well, and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Serve immediately in bowls with a scattering of grated cheese for garnish.