Recipe by MsPia
Top Review by Erindipity
We really liked this risotto. It ended up being a little sweet, but that may be because of the wine I used, a chardonney. I didn't make any changes to the recipe and we will likely make it again as it was a nice basic risotto to have with our red wine chicken.
- 28 ounces chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated plus shavings for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring stock to a low simmer in a medium pot.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Cook onion until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and a pinch of salt. Saute until rice is translucent, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add wine and saffron; bring to a simmer, stirring, until rice has absorbed most of wine.
- Add 2 ladles of stock to rice; simmer, stirring, until rice has absorbed most of stock. Continue adding stock, allowing rice to absorb it before adding the next ladleful.
- Cook until rice is 'al dente' and mixture is a little loose. Stir in butter. Turn off heat. Stir in grated cheese. Cover and let sit 2 minutes.
- Divide among 4 bowls. Garnish each with cheese shavings, if desired.