Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the July 2007 issue of Cooking Light.
Make and share this Rigatoni Mediterranean recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta (uncooked)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided
- 5 1⁄2 cups eggplants, diced and peeled (about 1 large)
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 cups sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 1 large onion)
- 3⁄4 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, fresh and grated
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant to pan and saute about 6 minutes, or until lightly browned. Drain on a paper towel.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic to pan and and cook no more than 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add onion, zucchini, and scallions to pan. Cook about 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped basil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simer about 15 minutes.
- Combine pasta, eggplant, and tomato mixture in a large bowl; stir in shredded mozzarella. Transfer to a 13x9" baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan. Cover and bake at 350 for 15 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Pretty tasty dish, I liked it. The recipe doesnt say how much zucchini to put in, so I just tossed in whatever frozen I had around and it was fine.
This is a fabulous recipe! Easy with wonderful flavors! I chopped up the scallions and put them to the side more for garnish...when cleaning up the kitchen I found them...forgot to use them! I also used fresh oregano (it looked good in the garden!) I also used fresh mozza...so I didn't need to uncover and bake the final 5 minutes. Thank you for a wonderful pasta meal!