Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
Be sure to use fresh mozzarella for this recipe! Recipe is from Family Circle.
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) eggplants
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb mini rigatoni pasta
- 1 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- Trim eggplant and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, cook eggplant and garlic in oil for 7 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes and break up with a wooden spoon.
- Add oregano, salt and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While sauce is simmering, cook pasta following package directions.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Toss drained pasta with sauce.
- Add reserved pasta water, in 1/4 cup increments, until desired consistency is reached.
- Stir in cheese, allow to melt slightly and serve.
This was really very good! And I was especially pleased to be able to find fresh smoked mozzarella, although I used two 14-oz. cans of diced fire-roasted tomatoes and regular rigatoni, since I couldn't the specified ingredients. I had to add a lot more olive oil; the 3 T. was not enough, given that eggplant absorbs it like a sponge! Other than that, the instructions were great and the result was an easy, tasty dish.