Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Weekend magazine; among the V-day special recipes.
- 100 g butter, melted
- 2 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dates, stoned and chopped
- 200 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- ice cream
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Lightly grease a deep ovenproof bowl with a little butter.
- Combine butter, milk and eggs.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder and castor sugar in a bowl.
- Make a well in the middle.
- Pour combined butter-milk-egg mixture into the well.
- Mix with a spoon until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
- DO NOT beat mixture vigorously.
- Stir in chopped dates.
- Pour mixture into the greased bowl.
- Combine water, chocolate and milk in a small pan.
- Stir over low heat until chocolate melts and is smooth.
- Pour gently over the pudding mixture.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over it.
- Bake for 45 minutes-1 hour until the pudding is firm.
- Serve hot with ice cream and strawberries.